We live in an era where everything of convenience is a few clicks away. The rising popularity of the internet has led to a revolutionary change in the advertising industry. People are shifting from television to the internet. In fact, as of July 2020, 4.57 billion people, that is 59% of the world are active users of the internet. With statistics like this, there is an increasing need to understand Digital Marketing- the art of marketing on the internet, and if there is an aspiring career in Digital Marketing.
What is Digital Marketing?
Before going in depths of a career in digital marketing let us discuss what digital marketing actually is. In Layman’s terms, Digital Marketing is the ability to market your products and services to the billions of internet users of the world. It is the skill that is required that lets your product be seen by the maximum people on the internet. Digital Marketing does not mean throwing anything on the internet and expecting it would reach the millions of viewers, it is using technology and strategy in such a way that the people that actually see your content are compelled to be your customers.
The recent pandemic has seen an exponential rise in remote working and thus it is not new to think of a career in digital marketing. There are a variety of fields and segments in digital marketing that one can specialize in. These include Content Writing, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Search Engine Marketing (SEM), Email marketing, Web data analysis, and countless other fields.
What are the skills required for being a Digital Marketer?
While a beginner can work with a few basic skills and specialties but if you want to have a thriving career in digital marketing then you need to learn all about the evolving technology and train yourself to acquire all the necessary skills. The top skills that are absolutely required for having an aspiring career in Digital Marketing are:
- Data Analysis– Without data analysis and proper analytics, you wouldn’t know who your target audience is. It would take years to identify the right market if you aren’t well versed in data analysis. Thus data analysis is the very necessary skill to have a long-lasting career in digital marketing.
- Copywriting- It is the ability to write catchy and call-to-action headlines and content with the minimum number of words and spaces. It is a must-have skill because this is what will drive the audience to your products.
- SEO and SEM skills- Your good data analysis and copywriting are a waste if you aren’t able to have them ranked on the first page of search engines like Google and Bing. This is where you need Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Search Engine Marketing (SEM). It is the source that’ll drive evergreen traffic to your selling website and help you have a committed career in digital marketing.
- Email Marketing– Even though E-mails are considered as an older form of communication it is yet to be pushed out of the market. It is one of the best ways to reach out to millions of your regular as well as your new customers and establish a healthy relationship.
- Social Media Marketing Skills– Social Media is becoming increasingly popular amongst the youth and it is thus one of the best ways for maximum outreach and exposure. Thus mastering Social Media Marketing will help you be an effective and up-to-date digital marketer.
- Video Editing– It is a proven fact that people prefer watching video content rather than reading an entire blog or article. Thus the optional art of video editing will help you give the little push that will help you stand out as a digital marketer.
- Understanding in Content Management Systems like WordPress– Most of the businesses today are on CMS like WordPress and a basic understanding of the platform and some coding skills will save you tons of time and give your career in digital marketing a generous headstart.
- Conversion Rate Optimization– All the above skills, outreach, and traffic are useless unless your audience doesn’t take any action and buy your services. Thus, to seal the deal and have a productive career in digital marketing you need to have impeccable CRO skills as well.
Pros and Cons of having a career in Digital Marketing
To help you decide if you want to start a career in digital marketing let us weigh the pros and cons of being a digital marketer.
Pros of Digital Marketing
- The greatest advantage of having a career in digital marketing is that you’ll never have a lack of opportunities if you have the right skills to offer. The world is continuously evolving and it is safe to expect that internet users and the scope of digital marketing will definitely increase in the future.
- There is a wide range of skills that you can choose from. If you are an absolute master of any of the skills like SEO or SEM then there will always be a high place for you in the industry.
- Digital Marketing is a cost-effective industry. With very little investment and the right skills and knowledge, you can be assured to have a bright career in digital marketing.
- You can work at your convenience and as a freelancer or at your home. You just need the instruments and the time to work.
- As per the earnings, digital marketing is a learning-based industry. The more you work, the more you practice and the more time you invest are the factors that will determine your earnings. With experience and expertise, you can expect to live a comfortable life.
Cons of Digital Marketing
- There is no fixed degree for mastering Digital Marketing and you have to keep on learning new things to match the fast-evolving algorithm changes. If you fall back then you can be driven off easily from the industry.
- Even though a career in Digital Marketing can be done at your convenience, you don’t have proper job security if you are a freelancer, contract worker, or even a business owner.
- This is an effort driven industry. You have to continuously work hard and put 100% effort to please your customers and there is nothing you can do but improve if your customers aren’t satisfied.
- To be able to live a comfortable life solely from a career in digital marketing you need to make yourself stand out. There are a large number of people that are shifting their careers to online platforms and to stand out of the crowd you need to be different and an expert.
Unfortunately, a lot of business owners do not have the right skills for creating the right brand awareness and reach their target audience. At such times, if you play by the books and do everything right then you can expect to have a splendid career in digital marketing. We can see some of the top digital marketers like Niel Patel, Noah Kagan, Avinash Kaushik thriving in their careers. They have succeeded in acquiring the skills to drive sales and profit. This is enough to have hope and faith that if you really want it and are willing to work hard then you as well can have a shining career in digital marketing.
Suggested read: Time Management -“How to Manage Time?”